Kinetic Typography : Week3

Approach 1 : Building everything in After effects

In my first approach, I started by making simple storyboards on paper. One interesting thing about my piece of audio was that it being from the 1950s, the audio has a lot of background noise. I really liked this element and want to experiment with this for my final video. I will be applying the grain and noise texture in the end as it slows down the video when I am still working on it.

Mapping and Typeface Experimentation

I then started by trying out different techniques. I typed out the text on illustrator and made a map of the text, to understand the pacing, as explained by Leland. I had also found a lot of old typefaces from typekit and from a friend, and I applied it to my text and experimented a lot so that I can use it as a guide for translating the whole transcript.

Recreating Storyboards and back to divergence

After finishing this, I went to after effects and first tried to renew my knowledge by watching tutorials and developing basic animations. Then I tried out my recreating my storyboards but I was just not happy with how they were looking.

I tried to lay out all the pieces of the type and move them and apply different affects on them to understand how I can play with them. It helped me to understand the tools of after effects, but the result was not working.

Approach 2 : Making a Poster

Inspirational images

Diverging and Converging

After discussing with Leland, I decided to go forward with a old letterpress type poster approach, and to have the camera pan over the text. I developed the poster pieces on illustrator and saved each text piece as a different layer. I also added some additional affects to some pieces of text to make it more visually interesting. As I kept trying with the camera tool, I stumbled across the null layer which helped me develop a more concrete approach, and pulled me back to the original video. A major challenge I was facing was that Cyrano constantly talks over the other man, and to understand how to translate this, and the null layer along with the camera was the best way to translate it.

Converging and Finalising

Approach 3 : Learning from the scene itself

I revisited the original video, and understood the angle from which the video was shot and I thought to keep this approach while playing with my video. I really like how theres only 2 angles used throughout the video, and how the angle decides who is more dominant character in that scene.

Next Steps :

Work more with both approaches and see which is more successful.

Storyboards

Initial one (A4 paper in left image) – and later upgraded, more defined storyboard.

Initially, though I made storyboards, I did not write down everything clearly, I just made rough thumbnails with words that need to be in one scene and mentioned some animation actions I can do on the side. Later on, I realized that to make my work easier, it is best to write down each and every action, and I did it in the image in the right. I had approximately 70-80 single animation actions.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s