After I finished the sketches on paper, I scanned them so I could use them as a reference while redrawing them on illustrator.
As I redrew them on illustrator, I had to make many changes as some things didn’t look quite right as it looked on paper.
For instance, while making the Pinas ship booklet, I thought of having black lines around each ship to give it more emphasis but it didn’t look right on illustrator. I tried different gradient styles until I was happy with one.
Final booklets and covers
Malaysia – Longboat
Qatar – Dhow boat
Peru – Lancha
Qatar – Yatch
Peru – Reed boat
Malaysia – Pinas Ship
I also had trouble with the text because I later realised that serif fonts do not work on smaller scales as it is not very legible as compared to san serif fonts.
Here, “Baglah” is not as legible as “Sambuk”.
Making the main box
Once I was done illustrating the matchboxes, I started working on the outermost box. I was really confused on how to make it. Then I thought the best thing would be to reuse elements from the designs that I already created to make an outer box so as to bring everything together.
Type made from different elements used in Dhow boat, Lancha, Longboat and Yatch.
Front of box
Box template and the inside color