Signage : Material studies pt.2

For the next class, I made illustrator sketches of signs for my topic but I was so surprised when our professors told us to do material studies and make things and explore different ways to make the sign. Partly because all the signs I have seen up till now are all simplistic and look like they…

Matchbox : Printing and Assembling

For printing and cutting purposes, I added crop marks around each of the booklet and cover. Then I made a bleed around it so it is easier for me when I cut. However, the biggest struggle was to make the bleed for the matchbox covers. When I initially made the covers, I had live painted…

Imaging final stages

Outer covers Inner booklets After I finished the sketches on paper, I scanned them so I could use them as a reference while redrawing them on illustrator. As I redrew them on illustrator, I had to make many changes as some things didn’t look quite right as it looked on paper. For instance, while making…

Imaging initial sketches and research

As the days went by, my project took some interesting turns. Initially, I was planning to make the matchbox really simple from the outside and have a booklet with few facts inside, but Maryam gave me a cool idea of keeping the olden style of matchboxes in my project and it really changed my journey to the…

Mural art: Adding COLOR!

Next it was time to add color. This was partly exciting and partly agonising. Exciting because colouring it seemed a really fun idea but agonising as we had to tape down everything again because we wanted to paint inside the shapes formed by black spaces. Taping taping taping Started off with the colors…love how it looks…

Sentence pt.1

After we finished with the word project, we were all given words to make a sentence on our own. The words clearly did not seem to go together to make any sensible sentence, but it would not even make any nice nonsense sentence either. So I replaced “antiquated” with “dangerous” and “math” with “teacher”. So…

M&P : Signage pt.1

The research for this has been very interesting. From the time the professors explained this project, I knew I wanted to design a sign for the closing and opening signs in an elevator. For some reason, the sign always confuses me and I have to look at both to understand which is the opening or…

Word project final stages

Once I was done with the word, I added 4-5 quills around the letter forms to make it look more organic and as if the things were sprouting out of the letters. Then it was time for photographing.  I photographed my paper weaved word last week in the small garden next to Graphic Design and…

Word project 2nd critique + process

Again, I started off with printing the flipped version of the word and tiling it. When I finally started paper quilling, there were few tool that really aided the process: Glue: I found white glue to be very helpful because once it dried it did not show at all. DIY Quilling stick: I found this…

Word project Paper quilling research

So after the first critique, I researched a lot on the different quilling styles and watched tutorials for some basic knowledge. Last time I did paper quilling was when I was in 6th or 7th grade and though it is easy, I wanted to know some quilling hacks that would help me finish faster since…

Mural Art painting Update

Before view of the perfectly white board. After deciding the design of the painting, it was time to start measuring the lines and drawing out the illustrator artboard onto the wall. Since the projector projected the file a bit slanted and it was not possible to get it perfectly straight, we decided to just look…

First word critique

Starting on the final word from the experimentation stage has been an interesting experience until now. Initially, my idea was that I would make paper quillings and stick them on foam board with white background as a way to present the word “مزخرف” (ornate) simplistically. However, I could not find all the materials needed for…